Welcome to Teacher Space. Scroll down the right margin to discover hundreds of quality, teaching and learning links for mainstream and special education teachers.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Work Life Balance

Hi Everyone,
Aside from a serious addiction to blogging I have a major problem with work/life balance. So much so, that when I told my principal that I had decided to take control of the situation and go home earlier at the end of the day he just laughed and passed an unmentionable comment! Which, has made me all the more determined to do it - of course!
I really have to do something about it this year because I am team teaching with a graduate teacher and I don't want to set a poor example. Your first year of teaching is hard enough without dealing with an over zealous colleague!
I have to admit though, it won't be easy.
Did you have a look at the Teacher TV site yesterday?See the post below if you haven't. They have heaps of really good videos about getting the whole work life balance thing happening, teacher burn out how to deal with work place stress and all sorts of topics that are very useful for people like me. I have have already started watching them, but I might need a second or third viewing before I can apply it.
So here is my goal ,which I developed with my principal because I was incapable of coming up with something reasonable on my own!. I am going to leave the school at or before 5:15pm at least 4 days a week. I can stay at work up until 6:00 pm one day a week and beyond 6:00 pm only on a school council meeting nights. Chrissy ( my new colleague) is going to tell me to 'Go home!' if I look like I am falling off the wagon, and an arrange an intervention if it is required. AND, I have to confess on the blog if I blow it! Wish me luck

No comments:

Post a Comment

Universal Design for Learning

A is for Autism F is for Friend - Video