Welcome to Teacher Space. Scroll down the right margin to discover hundreds of quality, teaching and learning links for mainstream and special education teachers.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Asperger's and Girls


Hi Everyone,

It was a 'curl up with a good book day' today. I have spent my Saturday reading 'Asperger's and Girls' which features the writings and understandings of 7 well known autism authors including Tony Attwood and Temple Grandin.

As an autism teaching and learning coach, I spend most of my time working with boys. It was great to read a book that was exclusively dedicated to understanding and catering for the needs of girls with Asperger's Syndrome. For me, the take away message was that it is important to teach our girls the hidden curriculum involved in relationships. I wonder what knew knowledge you will take away from the text?

I read a borrowed copy ( thanks Bambi) but you can get yours at a very reasonable price from the Book Depository website. I order most of my books from there. This UK company delivers very well priced books all over the world and as an Australian, I have never had to wait longer than 10 days before my books have arrived . Better still there is no delivery charge!

Click on the cover of the book to read a full description of the text and order yours for $21.40 from the Book Depository website.

1 comment:

  1. Sue!

    I can second the book depo site :) I think I introduced it to Meaghan and I have never looked back! Perhaps one day I could make a list of books for children with good language in them for parents and teachers. I wonder if teachers know you can buy big books from there too!

    But to the book in mention... I cannot wait to have a read of this. In the spectrum world it does feel very boy dominated so woild be great to get a different perpective!

    Thanks for sharing

    Jess

    ReplyDelete

Universal Design for Learning

A is for Autism F is for Friend - Video