Welcome to Teacher Space. Scroll down the right margin to discover hundreds of quality, teaching and learning links for mainstream and special education teachers.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Auslan Tutor App - Free from the iTunes Store

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of becoming 'Mac literate'. I bought a Mac book just before Christmas. It is taking me twice as long to write posts and anything else, that I would normally do with a computer. Perhaps it is a foolish thing to do, when I have just committed to being more prolific on my blog this year.

Got to love the journey though - right?

Today though, I want to draw your attention to the Auslan Tutor App for Apple iProducts such as the iPad and iPhone. You don't have to have a hearing impaired student or family member, to benefit from using this application. I use key word signing daily in my work; primarily to provide visual cues to support the receptive language skills of my students. I encourage teachers that I support and mentor to do the same.

Some of these teachers have taken the use of this application one step further and are using it as their text and resource to teach their students Auslan too. The students love it and it is creating an inclusive culture in schools in preparation for a child with a hearing impairment, choosing to sign, who may be enrolled in that school down the track.

Using the video reference library, you could learn a word a day, or add signs to class songs. As they say, 'From little things big things grow'.

The best bit is that it is free! So, follow the link to the iTunes store for more information and to download it today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Universal Design for Learning

A is for Autism F is for Friend - Video